F.A.Q's page

  • Please check here before you post a query on the forums...

  • Your question may already be answered.

How do I join?

How do I join CASA?

To join CASA, simply fill in the online application form HERE

To qualify for membership, you need to be a member of a Collective Administration and Management Society (CAMS) such as SAMRO or NORM.

What if I don't quality for membership?

Beginner composers who are not yet members of SAMRO or a similar society may still apply for membership of CASA. You will be added to our database and receive emails about upcoming workshops and other news.

Please inform CASA if your status changes and you are accepted as a member of a CAMS (Collective Administration and Management Society)



microphone for questions

Tips & advice

What can you as a member do, to help SAMRO help you ?

There are number of critical issues that you can contribute to this partnership. These are: 


  1. regular, accurate notification of new works

  2. changes in your personal details - you need to update us with your personal information, so we can contact you when necessary e.g. may be with regard to a query on a distribution, or potentially when we want to notify you of some important event or occurrence such as the recent decision to go into mechanical rights

  3. quick response to requests for information e.g. many members take long to provide their deed of assignments, heirs not providing last will and testaments - so cannot be elected. These are imperative in getting people elected as members. Also the provision of bank details so we can make the royalty payments etc 

  4. submission of program returns - information in respect of live performances need to be provided, so we can ensure that your music is part of the distribution

  5. jingle code information - provision of flighting codes for jingles, as well as the name and contact details of the production house responsible for the creation of the jingle

  6. provision of cue sheets - ensuring that the broadcaster has cue sheet information for your works, so if we follow up on a query on the broadcast schedule, they have the information

  7. quick response to requests for information:

  • provision of a deed of assignment so we can proceed with an applicant's election to membership

  • bank account details - failing which, monies cannot be paid out timeously

  • provision of a last will and testament so your heirs can be elected and the benefits you have earned can be passed on to your loved ones in the untimely event of your death

  • cue sheets play a vital role in identifying the musical works in a film carrier

  • notifying SAMRO of performances and venues when our artists perform overseas

  • members not notifying us of their pseudonyms - we are unable to link and identify the works


This document which was kindly supplied by Mr Greg Zoghby of SAMRO can be downloaded here


How things work

What are Needletime Rights Royalties?

Needletime Rights are Performers’ Rights. Needletime Rights royalties are royalties paid to performers/recording artists for the public performance of their recorded performances.

Who Pays Needletime Rights Licence Fees?

Broadcasters and any other licensed music user who performs recorded music in public.

Will the Introduction of Needletime Rights Affect Existing Rights?

Existing rights (Performing Rights and Mechanical Rights) will not be affected by the introduction of Needletime Rights. The Needletime Rights royalty is a new royalty whose administration is expected to improve the lives of music performers, without diminishing the status and value of existing rights.

What is the Difference Between Needletime Rights and Other Music Rights?

Performing Rights and Mechanical Rights remunerate authors, composers, and publishers for:

• the public performance of their musical works, in the case of Performing Rights; and
• the reproduction of their musical works, in the case of Mechanical Rights.

Needletime remunerates recording artists for the public performance of their recorded performances.

Who are Recording Artists?

Recording artists are lead vocalists, backing vocalists, instrumentalists (guitarists, drummers, pianists, saxophonists, violinists, keyboardists, etc), and studio producers who make a performing contribution to the recorded performance.


Who's who?

What does SAMRO do?

South African Music Rights Organization

1. SAMRO is a large organization which is operated by human beings who earn an income working in various departments that all work together to collect those little sums of money that can become large bags of money that you want to get your hands on, called “Royalties”. It is therefore rather important that you be very nice and considerate to all the people that work there, even at the front desk. They are all usually helpful.

2. SAMRO is not a Bank, Insurance company or Publisher. It is an organization that collects royalties for Composers and Performers.

3. Performance Royalties are collected from broadcasting on TV, Film and Radio in South Africa, as well as many other sources such as hotels, live venues and anywhere that music is performed. SAMRO is also affiliated to similar organizations around the world who collect money on your behalf and send it to SAMRO to pay you here in South Africa. Examples of such organizations are ASCAP and BMI in the USA and PRS (Performing Rights Society) in the UK. There are many more across the world and SAMRO has agreements with at least 100 of them There are some countries that do not have a collection society and there are places where you will find your music used and abused and you do not get paid.Sadly that’s the way it is, but SAMRO and other societies are doing their level best to change this for the benefit of all composers. They also collect from all retail outlets in shopping malls, banks and anywhere music is playing and that is just about everywhere. Because SAMRO collects from venues, it is important to note that when you perform at any venue you must list all the pieces of music that you play and submit that to SAMRO. You will receive payment for your compositions that you performed at that venue.

4. SAMRO also collects Mechanical Royalties. What are Mechanical Royalties? For example you compose music for a TV soapie and that music is transferred from your master CD to a format that they use to broadcast where it is locked to picture. The process of transferring your music generates a royalty which is called a Mechanical Right which pays the composer a set rate(fee) per 30 second unit or part thereof. It can be very rewarding.

5. SAMRO also collects “Needletime” Royalties via it’s sister body POSA. What is Needletime? Basically, it is a royalty for performers like session players and artists who perform on recordings (as well as for sound recording owners). This is still relatively new and the subject of much controversy and litigation, but you should sign up with SAMRO as indeed you should sign up for Performance/Broadcasting and Mechanicals.
Note well: It is a really good thing to be informed – it can make you money.
In matters such as this, ignorance is not bliss. Get on the net or go to SAMRO in Braamfontein and sign up, read up, do your homework – it will pay – Knowledge is Power.

Notify ALL of your works to SAMRO. If they don’t know what you have composed, they can’t pay you your royalties.

There is plenty of info on SAMRO’s website

, 20 De Korte Street, 
, 2001, 
South Africa

SAMRO membership info here

Tel: +27 (0) 11 712 8000

Fax: 086 682 0270

 Customer Service: 
Tel: 08611 72676

Fax: 086 674 6592

What does NORM do?

National Organisation for Reproduction Rights in Music in Southern Africa Ltd

From NORM themselves:

NORM, registered in 1971, is an association of Southern African music publishers and composers. Our Board of Directors comprises managing directors of major and independent publishing companies. We are a negotiating and licensing body and one of our main functions is to protect the copyright interests of our members.

NORM licenses many areas of music usage where music is transferred from one format to another – our licences grant the right to copy music. By law, a licence or permission from the copyright owner must be obtained prior to the transfer of music. NORM facilitates that procedure by having a mandate from its members to issue licences on their behalf.

NORM has strong licensing relationships with production houses, advertising agencies and studios – all users of copyrights – we are a one-stop shop for these clients and their use of production music. We also provide a service for smaller commercial record companies by calculating and processing their mechanical royalties to ensure that our members receive payment for the use of their rights.

As per the South African Copyright Act No. 98 of 1978, a commercial music licence through NORM will be based upon manufactured units and a copyright rate of 5% of the selling price (CD, cassette, video and DVD reproduction). Our industry agreement with RISA allows its members (the record companies) certain concessions, one of which is to pay a copyright rate of 6.76% based on the wholesale price of units sold.

Our association also licenses commercial and production music in audio visuals, stage shows where recorded back tracks are used, digital downloads and promotional CDs. Production music licence fees are based on a published rate card, which can be obtained upon application.

NORM has licensing arrangements with the three TV broadcasters allowing them to use our members’ music without having to pre-clear the usage for broadcast. These agreements, however, do not include the right to synchronise music to visuals for the purposes of advertising. Other terms and conditions apply.

During 2011, NORM and SAMRO signed a Memorandum of Understanding to work together to explore the possibilities of a joint administration of mechanical rights (CAPASA). Our discussions are on-going.

Visit NORM’s website

What does POSA do?

Performers’ Organisation of South Africa


POSA administers Needletime royalties for artists/performers.

Click on the button “How things work” on the left to learn more about Needletime.

Read more at the POSA website