View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Logic 8 
CASA regular

Well, we approach new software cautiously these days, as we all know how they wreak havoc on unsuspecting beta testers, namely YOU! but, I must say that as of this moment I am happy to declare that there are some rather nice and useful changes to Logic. It is logical in the way that they have afforded us buttons to easily switch from Mixer to Sample Editor to Piano Roll (Matrix) to Score to Hyper Editor, rather nice actually and media, as it is called, provides access to the Loop Browser, Audio Bin and Midi Instruments as long as you have created them in the environment, this took me a short while, not to much hassle thanks to Colins input and the import from the various multi's Logic File that I have , and, that you can have if you only ask; ask and thou shalt receive. i wanted to maintain all my program names that's why I transferred my multi's. Hey, whatever does it for you. Have fun, I gotta go now. Cheers! :lol:
By the way. Apple+Shift+4=Screenshot - great way to have a copy of information that you want to transfer or ..............thx Col

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

I have one question re Sample Editor, how does one get it to play from the song pointer that you set in the Editor without continually having to click the little audio play button. In logic 7 I simply used my regular key commands as in the space bar to play and stop while tweaking the audio file.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:14 am
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

It seems that Apple in their wisdom (or stupidity) have lost a key command from Logic 7. In the sample editor window, you used to have a local key command [Play selection] - this is gone in Logic 8.

There is a Global Command [Play from selection], but it only seems to work with what is selected in the Arrange window, ie it doesn't play a selected section in the sample edit window.

Space bar still works here for selections though. Maybe you have a conflict in your key commands?

I do like Logic 8 in general. It used to be an app which ran on Mac. It's now a Mac app - there's much more user-friendly Apple-type smart buttons and menus.

Lots of stuff is different though, so maybe CASA forum folks can post their discoveries here.

Regards - Colin

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:53 am
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

We can now have multiple sets of markers and signatures, as we used to have multiple tempo sets (alternatives).
Expand the Global tracks in your arrange window, then expand Marker + Signature + Tempo. (If you don't see these, you must go to the Arrange window [View] menu, and select [Configure global tracks]

You'll see that there are pop-up menus called [Alternative], with up to 9 sets available.

Here are some further observations re markers:
1 - The marker list now has a bottom "section" which appears if you click the [Edit] button (next to the walking man). Thus, you can see both the list and edit views at the same time - much better than before.
2 - To color a marker, it seems you must do so in the arrange window, with global tracks visible, by selecting a marker and then opening the color palette and clicking a color. You used to be able to do this from the marker window - doesn't seem to work anymore.
3 - There is a spell check in markers (!!)

Please post any more hints, tips and observations.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

In 7, the play control (spacebar) simply depended on which screen was active. eg: Arrange or Sample edit, that's as far as I know. I'm getting use to clicking the little play button which plays the audio with no fx and then hit spacebar and play the whole track with FX etc, maybe it's a good way to compare. I'm editing vocal breaths which are sometimes further enhanced by the fx and therefore one needs to reduce the level of the gasping vocalist even more, so maybe it's not a bad idea....

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Anybody know if Logic 8 and Pro Tools 7.3 are happy sharing a home together?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm
CASA maestro

Bliksem wrote:
Anybody know if Logic 8 and Pro Tools 7.3 are happy sharing a home together?

I've read a few minor complaints on LUG (Logic User Group at Yahoo with over 20,000 members), but nothing major it seems....

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

In Logic 7.x you could hold [ctrl] and drag over the arrange window (and certain other windows) as a shortcut to zoom in. [ctrl]click zoomed out again.

In Logic 8, this has been changed to [ctrl][alt] drag.

In many areas of Logic 8, holding [ctrl] brings up very useful contextual menus, but this obviously clashed with the shortcut noted above.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

Logic 8
Anyone - the great mystery of the missing multi-outputs for Spectrasonics RMX,. Sounds like an Agatha Christie title... HELP!

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

Colin and I have discovered that one cannot open a multi-output RMX in Logic 8 - only stereo. Ouch! But I did observe that a song with a multi RMX that was created in Logic 7.2.3 and then opened in Logic 8 still maintained it's multi outputs but opening yet another RMX in 8 one is stuck with Stereo.
Colin tells me that "they" are working on a fix. Like I said at the beginning of this topic, welcome to the world of being a beta tester for FREE, except for the fact that you and I pay for this nonsense. Cheers. :shock:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

Well this morning I have the answer. Spectrasonics have released 1.6.1 which has fixed the multi issue in logic 8 BUT I must point out that in Logic 7.2.3 you will only have the multi version, no stereo, which I personally don't see as a problem. Works for me...Have a nice day. Cheers :D

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:23 am
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

How about other CASA forum members posting more stuff about Logic 8 here? I'm sure that among our many composers in SA, there must be plenty who use Logic.

Please keep these forums active - they exist for you.....

Regards - Colin

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

Doesn't anyone use the latest Cubase 4 out there?

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

No Mate, Cubase is only for people who can't afford Logic!

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:24 am
CASA regular

Here, Here!

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next