View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
New Record Company 

Hi Guys

I need some help here. I recently registered my record company and recorded about three artists, i want everything that i do in my studio to be legal and be according to the law.

what organisations should i register with in order to be a recorgnised record label? i have got contracts with these artists and i want to make sure that they get all their rights and their royalties as they composed their music by themselves.

where do i go from here? can i just take their music to the radio stations or must do something before going that route?

Any advise is welcome.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

CASA deals more specifically with music composers issues, rather than record companies who deal with sound recordings / artists.

Mainly, it is important that the composers whose music you have recorded register with SAMRO. If you also have a music publishing business, then that entity should also register for membership of SAMRO.

Your questions raise a huge amount of potential answers that could not be dealt with in one forum post.
Suggested reading which would be very helpful to you is the new edition of "The South African Music Business" 2nd edition, by Jonathan G. Shaw.

Hope this helps

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 am
Profile WWW

hi there

it's important for your label to become a member of RISA... contact them on 011-886-1342 & ask them about application forms... of course you can approach radio stations yourself, if you don't have a marketing team... just call up a station & ask for the name of the chief programmer... as far as publishing is concerned... that is entirely between you & your artistes... of course it is important for their publishing rights to be properly administered... you can either help your artistes to establish their OWN publishing entities (does not need to be a registered company), or discuss signing their songs to your publishing company... the next step is to find a publishing company you feel confident will be able to administer your artistes publishing properly (there are a few to choose from in SA)...

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]