View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Radio station wanting publisher information 
CASA regular

I recently submitted my CD to a radio station for aiplay and I was told that they need publisher information. I called SAMRO seeking clarification and they told me that they are aware of radio stations now requiring publisher information before they play your music. I am a SAMRO member and my music is registered with them. Do I need to have a publisher for my music to be played on radio?

Please assist.

Fax: 086 644 2146
Cell: 072 645 9468

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 pm
CASA regular

Hi, As a Samro member you should ask them to clarify whether it is standard practice by all Radio stations or just some. Let us know. Regards getting a publisher, if you get a good one who likes you, your music and is going to go out of his/her way to make your music known then sign on the line, the norm is 50/50 though you might be able to negotiate a better % in your favour. Alternatively, create your own publishing company, to start - solely for your own music.... and to satisfy the radio station(s). Get the name registered with CIPRO as a Trademark, this can take time but you can put a little (t) in a circle at the end of your publishing name, it shows that it is pending registration. This is important so you are sure you are not using a name belonging to somebody else because that would cause you very big headaches and you must inform and register it with Samro. Your royalties will be split by Samro between yourself and your publishing entity. I did this years ago and it has worked for me. I hope this is helpful to you and on behalf of Casa i wish you well and much success. javascript:emoticon(':D')

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:48 am
Profile WWW
CASA maestro

I think there may be a communication problem at the radio station.

They are just doing their job and are used to supplying publisher info, as most tracks probably fall under a publisher, and they are required to submit this info to SAMRO.

However, you are certainly not obliged to have a publisher. When you notify your works to SAMRO, in the Publisher column, you would write "in m/s" which means "in manuscript". SAMRO then knows that the works are not lodged with a publisher.

You could probably do the same with the radio station. Perhaps you could contact them again and explain that you own the copyright in your works. You could probably then also write "in m/s" for the publisher info as this is perfectly understood by SAMRO.

I'm just using commonsense here - I could be wrong in this case. Please let us know what the radio station says as this info could help other composers in future.

Regards - Colin

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
CASA regular

thank you for your response. much appreciated.

Fax: 086 644 2146
Cell: 072 645 9468

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]